Scenic Drive Loop Trail
See trail guide below ... click on camera icons for photos at that location.
The Scenic Drive entrance to Werner-Boyce Salt Springs State Park is located along Scenic Drive at Cinema Drive. It is home to a parking area with picnic tables and a small shelter. Toilet facilities are available. The Scenic Drive Loop Trail provides a good opportunity to take a relaxing hike through several different natural communities in the Park including mesic flatwoods, baygall, xeric and hydric hammock.
The trail is about 1/2 mile in length and forms a loop - so backtracking is not necessary. Although well-maintained and suitable for even the most timid hiker, the path can be a little muddy after a rain.
- Begin your hike at the small kiosk that provides information about the Park and what you might see along the trail.
- Bench for resting or bird-watching. Might be handy if you follow the trail in the clockwise direction.
- Coming from point 2 you skirt the mesic flatwoods clearing populated by thick palmetto. Once into the "jungle" be sure to notice the variety of trees, including Sweet Bay, Swamp Bay, Oaks, Cabbage Palm and Magnolias.
- A bench overlooking a massive Oak tree, and a large tree that has fallen next to the trail.
- This part of the trail is low-lying and can be muddy after a rain. A perfect habitat for the abundant ferns growing here.
- Palmettos, with their large twisting root systems, are a hardy inhabitant of dry sandy flatlands.
- Restroom facilities are located near the end of the trail by the parking area.